The Shakopee School District is seeking a LTS EL Teacher for the remainder of the 2021/2022 School Year. The position will be 1.0 FTE and will service students at Shakopee High School.
Educate, plan, teach, facilitate and evaluate English Learner students in English language instruction and cultural orientation and skills as defined by local and state department regulations and guidelines. Provides instruction in English Language Development as well as content area(s) in accordance with each student’s ability; creates a classroom environment that fosters student learning and personal growth. Establishes effective working relationships with students and parents, works collaboratively with other staff members. Administer ACCESS testing. Participate in PLC’s. Work collaboratively with other staff members.
Direct Instruction and/or Co-Teaching with Classroom Teachers
- Provide direct instruction to identified English Learner students, as well as identified newcomer students, to improve academic achievement in the areas of reading, writing, speaking, and listening, as well as cultural orientation.
- Monitor student progress and attendance and assist with school orientation, registration, and post-high school plans, if appropriate.
Parent/Community Outreach and Communication
- Communicate with parents and serve as a liaison between school, parents, and community; arrange interpretation and translation services as needed.
- Consult and communicate with teachers, administration, and support staff and attend meetings such as district, building, grade level, department, curriculum, child study team, open house, parent-teacher conferences, and IEP meetings.
English Learner Specific Assessments
- Coordinate and administer state testing for English Learner students and complete required paperwork (ex: for migrant students).
Resource and Consultation with Classroom Teachers
- Collaborate with general education teachers to enhance lesson plans and select appropriate educational materials and activities that help the students meet curriculum objectives and are aligned with district curriculum and state outcomes.
- Coordinate and/or deliver training as needed in English Learner “best practices” for general education teachers.
- Communicate the needs of individual English Learner students to general education teachers to ensure student success.
- Vitality to accomplish numerous tasks and processes.
- Extended periods of standing when teaching or leading an activity.
- Extended periods of sitting during meetings and deskwork.
- Bending, stooping or sitting on the floor to perform classroom activities or to provide one to one assistance.
- Repetitive motion keyboarding activities for classroom preparation or grading.
- Ability to travel between buildings, within the building and work area.
- May lift equipment or supplies typically not to exceed 25 pounds.
- Extended periods of speaking and/or voice projection.
- Analyze and interpret course text and professional materials.
- Clearly communicate unit/lesson objectives and content.
- Respond to inquiries, concerns or requests from parents or members of the community in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Effectively present information to peers, parents, and community members.
- Work with interruptions, handle multiple tasks and organize and prioritize work assignments.
- Conflict resolution skills in dealing with students, parents and colleagues.
- Prioritizing work duties, organizing classroom settings and taking initiative to explore new activities and ideas to enhance student learning.
- Implementing and modeling the “Code of Conduct”.
- Classroom environment, which typically includes moderate noise from students, computers and other work related equipment.
- Occasionally performed outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Travel to and work in all buildings/programs in District.
Supervision of Other Employees:
Must hold a valid MN teaching license.
English Learner licensure is required.
Current or previous experiences as an English Learner Teacher preferred.
Special Knowledge or Skills:
Possess high quality instructional practices in all aspects of instructing English Learners.
Ability to constantly make decisions and act within the district and building policies, procedures and guidelines.
Knowledge of teaching techniques and strategies.
Knowledge of legal mandates regarding provision of services.
Knowledge of classroom instructional interventions and behavioral management techniques.
Ability to work in a diverse environment.
Ability to communicate effectively with students, parents, teachers, administrators, community, and staff.
Working knowledge of district curriculum.
Working knowledge of the district’s computers and student management software system.
Equipment, Machines, Tools, Electronic Devices, Software:
Operate computer, printer, photocopy machine, fax machine and other electronic or technological equipment required for the specific position.
Competency in data platforms or a willingness to learn a variety of platforms to facilitate student identification.
Proficient in various software applications.
Proficient in phone system.
Provide direct instruction and/or Co-Teaching with General Education Teacher.
Resource and Consultation with Classroom Teachers.
Parent/Community Outreach and Communication.
Coordinate and administer relevant English Learner assessments.
You must be a permanent employee of the district to use the internal application. Substitutes are not considered internal applicants and must complete the external application .
Apply Online at http://www.shakopee.k12.mn.us/ under posting 5105.
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. Those selected for interview will be contacted.