1. Minnesota PreK-12 or K-12 school nurse license.
2. Masters degree in nursing, public health, or education, preferred.
3. Membership and active participation in professional state and national nursing and educational organizations as School Nurse Organization of Minnesota, National Association of School Nurses, Minnesota Nurses Association, Minnesota Public Health Association.
Job Duties and Requirements:
1. Provide planning, intervention, evaluation and reassessment for students with chronic and acute health conditions and/or disabilities in the special or general education setting.
2. Provide direct professional nursing services such as first aid, illness and emergency care, medication administration, g-tube feedings, catheterizations etc., and health teaching.
3. Provide mental health support including intervention and/or referral to appropriate school staff or community agencies.
4. Participate in maintaining accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical examinations and medical conditions using District technology.
5. Delegate appropriate functions to health paraprofessionals as needed. Provide supervision for their direct and indirect care.
6. Enhance the educational process through modification or removal of health related barriers to learning and by promoting student wellness.
7. Follow state and county guidelines for reporting contagious conditions and informing families and staff.
8. Perform screening procedures for hearing and vision.
9. Advocate integration of District vision and policies into action plans.
10. Perform Qualified Professional duties for the third party reimbursement program including: developign care plans, training PCA’s/paras, monitoring as required by MN third party reimbursement guidelines. Collection and submission of data as required for third party reimbursement.
11. Perform other duties of a similar nature or level.
1. Develop Individual Health Plans, Emergency Care Plans and 504 Plans as needed.
2. Collaborate with the special education team to ensure student success. Duties may include; attending special education meetings when appropriate, providing supervision and training to special education paras as needed, obtaining and documenting health assessments.
3. Participate in twice monthly PLC’s and follow the other PLC requirements if hired at a 0.75 FTE or greater.
4. Interpret health information and its impact on education planning for students.
5. LSN’s participate in growth and evaluation requirements: student engagement plan and principal observations.
6. Participate in community organizations and professional associations that relate to fostering student and families learning, health and development.
7. Attend and participate in local, regional, and state professional organizations and conferences related to student support services and school health programs in order to keep current relative to the field of school health, the district community, and the broader regional and state community.
8. Organize and maintain the emergency response team.
Knowledge and Skills:
1. Evidence of experience as PHN or LSN at elementary and/or secondary level with strong nursing skills preferred.
2. Strong communication skills and interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
3. Evidence of skills and experience in working with medically dependent, medically fragile and medically complex students and their families.
4. Demonstrated knowledge in special education process and practice preferred.
Dr. Michael Cyrus, Executive Director of Human Resources
Christine Breen, Executive Director of Special Education
Annie Lumbar Bendson, Health Services Coordinator
Please upload a letter of interest, resume, 3 letters of professional recommendation, transcripts and Minnesota Teacher license information with your online application.
Current Employees, please fill out the Internal Application form found on the district website under “District” then “Departments-Human Resources” click “Submit an Internal Application/Transfer Form” found on the right side of the page. Current employees do not need to attach letters of recommendation or transcripts.