We are seeking a 5-8 Academic Intervention Specialist with a background Reading/Language Arts. The Academic Intervention Specialist will provide academic intervention and support to general education students with academic skills deficits and/or below grade level performance, in the general classroom and in dedicated breakout spaces.
This position has been created in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. We are seeking additional support for the 2021-2022 school year to support students’ academic growth.
- Mindset: Promote and model the philosophy, mission and vision of Community of Peace Academy. Promote and model a mindset of high academic and character expectations for all students.
- Intervention: In consultation with the Data Coach and classroom teachers, identify students in need of intervention. Design appropriate academic interventions for identified students. Administer interventions and conduct ongoing progress monitoring.
- Lesson Planning: Write individual learning plans including goals and timetables for progress monitoring. Write daily and weekly lesson plans for small group or individual instruction. Provide copies of goals and plans to classroom teachers and the school’s data coach.
- Communication and Reporting: Communicate with the Data Coach and classroom teachers regarding students’ needs, instructional planning and student progress. Provide regular progress reports to teachers and administrators. Maintain student service records.
- Other duties as requested in support of ongoing student achievement and school improvement.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Attitudes Required
- Knowledge of or ability to learn core academic content and standards across secondary grades.
- Understanding of prerequisite skills in reading and math development.
- Considerable skill in providing academic interventions to secondary school-age students across content areas.
- Ability to make data-driven decisions in an educational environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to access and utilize web-based applications and spreadsheets.
- Strong organizational skills, including scheduling and time-management.
- Strong ability to be self-directed and autonomous in carrying out work duties.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Ability to exercise professionalism and confidentiality, and maintain student dignity in all circumstances.
- 4-year college degree and prior teaching or intervention experience required.
- Specific knowledge in interventions for Reading/Language Arts preferred.