SPARKS is an after school, neighborhood based program for elementary and middle school age students provided by Orono School District and coordinated by the Community Education department. The goal is to provide another intervention that provides extra time and support to help our district close the achievement and opportunity gap for kids who have academic and financial need. A licensed teacher and site/volunteer coordinator along with community mentors provide academic support, homework help and encouragement to students.
- Coordinate and lead academic portions of the SPARKS program.
- Develop academic goals and plans for each child in the program.
- Lead direct instruction groups for math, reading or other academic content during program hours.
- Work in partnership with the outreach coordinator with other general program aspects.
- Provide instruction or assistance according to direction provided by Orono Community Education Department.
- Monitor and ensure participant safety at all times.
- Create conditions which ensure an enjoyable participant experience.
- Manage participation through respectful and equitable approaches.
- Work collaboratively with Community Education staff to implement a philosophy that is supportive of participants’ development in the skillsets targeted through the SPARKS program.
- Communicate effectively with students, other school staff, parents, and building administrators, regarding program needs and developments.
- Licensed Teacher
- Understanding of fundamental skills and strategies of the activity.
- Effective meeting, teaching, and/or practice management skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in collaboration with others.
- Understanding of the role of parent involvement and the ability to collaborate with parents.
- Commitment to supporting the whole person in their pursuit of high levels of mastery of skill within the program.
Availability: Monday and Wednesdays 2:45-5:15 plus prep time
Working Conditions: Program held at a community location in Maple Plain and/or Long Lake.
District Website: www.orono.k12.mn.us
Supervisor: Genna Torney, Yourth Development Coordinator
952-449-8338 x 6350 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Scott E. Alger, Director of Human Resources