WORK CALENDAR: 178 duty days per year.
Click link below to review the 2022-2023 ESP Work Calendar
SALARY: $16.25 per hour
Click link below to review the 2020-2022 ESP Contract containing salary schedule.
BENEFITS: Benefits available for positions working an average of 30 hours per week.
Contact the Insurance office @ 507-328-4226 for detailed insurance information. Make sure to reference the exact job posting.
If you have questions regarding a job posting, contact the Office of Human Resources @ 507-328-4321 or email email@example.com.
The Special Education ESP provides support to students at the school site with needs who qualify for special education services in various school environments. The position is also responsible for implementing aspects of the student’s IEP (Individual Education Plan) under the direction of certified staff. This can include instructional support, behavior management, health support, collecting data, and communicating academic and behavioral progress at the school site. Percentage of time spent on essential duties and responsibilities will be dependent on the individual student’s needs and abilities.
- The Special Education Paraprofessional – intensive provides support to students at the school site with intensive needs who qualify for special education services in various school environments.
- Support students with de-escalation techniques and use restrictive procedures as needed (Training provided as needed).
- Crisis Prevention Intervention Training is required (training provided by RPS) for most intensive positions. Exemptions need to be approved by administration.
- Follow student Behavior Intervention Plans and Emergency Healthcare Plans.
- This position includes working with students who need ongoing assistance with toileting, feeding, transferring, and other activities of daily living.
- Provide Support/Supervision at meal times, at recess and on field trips
- Activities of daily living including self-care management of students including
- Lifting, transferring, positioning students
- Tube feeding, spoon/cup feeding
- Assist students with walkers and other assistive devices and aides
- Help students use the bathroom or change diapers
- Knowledge using iPads and other devices used for communication of non-verbal students
- Model appropriate language and social behavior
- Able to build strong relationships with children from all backgrounds and neuro-types.
- Maintain confidentiality
- Effective communication with all staff
- Good organizational skills.
- Regular, on-time attendance is required.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Experience working with elementary age students.
- Computer skills preferred.
- Flexibility and the ability to work as a cooperative team member.
- Positive rapport with children including the ability to correct inappropriate student behavior with fairness and consistency.
- Regular, on-time attendance is required.
In addition, the specific skills/educational qualifications for paraprofessional positions include:
- Believes that all students can attain high levels of learning.
- Takes responsibility for the learning of our students and his/her own performance.
- Possesses the knowledge and skills to build effective educational experiences that benefit all students.
- Functions as an effective member of the educational/school team.
- Won’t shy away from today’s educational challenges.
- Utilizes effective interpersonal skills.
- Has a proven track record of success.
- Works with great integrity
Commitment to Equity:
Rochester Public Schools is committed to diversifying its workforce to better reflect the community we serve. We believe the practices used in recruiting, interviewing, hiring, supporting, and promoting staff must include and honor, at every level, those who represent the diverse identities of our schools and community.
Common and Shared Accountabilities for All Positions
Employees of the Rochester Public School District #535 are expected to support the goals, model and promote an environment that is respectful for all, and work collaboratively with other staff to focus on the needs of the learner. A quality, customer focus that conveys a welcome attitude, an adaptability to change, and a desire for continuous improvement is also expected of all employees. In addition, staff are to respect confidential matters, encourage a safe and secure environment throughout the schools, and be dependable and accountable employees.
District Information: To learn more about Rochester Public Schools, visit www.rochesterschools.org.