ASL Language Facilitator
31.25 hours per week/38 Weeks per year
Monday – Friday | 8:30 am to 3:30
Join the Duluth Public Schools team, where we work to inspire every student to achieve their potential and prepare students to lead productive, fulfilling lives.
Duluth Public Schools is seeking an individual to facilitate deaf and hard-of-hearing (DHH) students communication within the educational environment across all settings; e.g. teacher communications to student, centers/small groups, presentations, lunch, recess, hallways, playtime, and school related extracurricular activities.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience as a teacher’s assistant in a teaching environment in or outside a school system or related childcare work
- 60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits of college or a passing score on the ParaPro assessment
Knowledge of finger-spelling and signing with a minimum of successfully passing ASL 1 and ASL 2 sign language classes from an accredited college or university.
Understanding of the English language, especially grammar
Hearing aids and microphones; cleaning, testing and troubleshooting
Children and their development
Expressive American Sign Language.
Receptive American Sign Language.
Ability to work with students.
Organizing the necessary materials for modeling and demonstrating sign language.
Ability to be flexible regarding work assignments.
Competency in establishing and maintaining effective professional relationships with teachers, staff, students, parents and community.
This district wide position will be assigned to Lincoln Park Middle School.
In addition to rewarding career opportunities, Duluth Public Schools offers an excellent benefit package to employees who are hired into positions scheduled to work 24 hours/week or more. Benefits include, but are not limited to the following:
Medical/Prescription Drug Plan with Health Reimbursement Arrangement
- Single Coverage – District pays 100% of premium (FREE) + contributes $2,612.50 into HRA annually
- Family Coverage – District pays 75% of premium (25% employee contribution) + contributes $5,225.00 into HRA annually
- Single Coverage – District pays 100% of Basic premium (FREE)
- Family Coverage – District pays 25% of Premium
- District provides minimum of $50,000 of life insurance at no cost, employee may purchase supplemental life insurance
Long Term Disability
- District-provided at no cost to employee
Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employees may elect to contribute on a pre-tax basis to Health Flexible Spending Accounts and Dependent Care Accounts
- The District contributes 7.25% of your total salary in the Public Employees Retirement Association) pension plan.
- Employees may also elect to participate in Tax-Shelter Annuity options.
- Each bargaining unit contract defines time off provisions such as holidays, sick/personal leave, vacation, etc.
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 218-336-8722 or email firstname.lastname@example.org