Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the AVID Instructor, the AVID Tutor takes an active role in guiding AVID students toward academic and personal excellence. The AVID Tutor actively participates in the learning, growth, and personal development of students by:
• Teaching students the skills needed to work collaboratively to solve problems.
• Empowering students to answer their own questions by posing questions which help students think more deeply about what they are learning.
• Guiding students in high-level discussions of critical topics as a means of developing vocabulary, enhancing discussion skills and fostering thought processes which will enable students to succeed in rigorous courses.
• Reinforcing writing skills through review of notes, learning logs, and essays.
SECTION II: ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Conduct tutorial sessions that underscore the principle of collaborative learning and the practice of students teaching other students through discussion of class and text notes.
- Determine from student tutorial worksheets, notes, and discussions the concepts that need to be the focus of tutorial sessions.
- Work with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming, clustering, read arounds, revision, and editing.
- Allow students to shoulder the responsibility for their own active learning while guiding them with strategies that they will become accustomed to using independently.
- Reinforce the idea that learning extends beyond mere studying to form the basis for long term accomplishments.
- Assist students in any subject area, by being familiar with students’ textbooks and materials and AVID classroom resources.
- Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class and textbook notes, and learning logs.
- Assist in teaching study skills and other aspects of college preparation.
- Take responsibility for the tone and atmosphere of the AVID classroom.
- Acknowledge the individuality of all AVID students and work to develop their academic and personal pride.
- Assist the AVID Instructor as requested, such as contacting teachers regarding course outlines and assignment schedules, helping with field trips, contacting parents, etc.
- Assist in developing a resource file of enrichment materials for use in tutorial sessions.
- Communicate regularly with the AVID Instructor/Coordinator regarding student progress and areas of concern.
- Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for AVID students to follows.
SECTION III: EDUCATION/KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Must be a high school graduate.
- Ability to become thoroughly grounded in AVID strategies (WICOR: writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, and reading).
- Ability to role model the importance of learning and achieving academic success.
- Ability to model and practice effective tutorial group strategies and higher order questioning techniques.
- Ability to act as an excellent role model: positive and professional behavior and dress; highly motivated; organized; supportive; advocate of students (but ultimately responsible to the AVID Instructor).
- Ability to meet regularly to discuss student progress; must be on time and prepared at all times.
Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
Equity is one of ISD728’s core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first to ensure college and career readiness. A diverse workforce fuels innovation and allows us to better understand, communicate with, and educate our students. ISD728 will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability, or status with regard to public assistance.