Position: AVID Tutor
Buildings: Middle & High Schools
Hours: 10-30 hours per week (up to 4 days) Monday/Wednesdays or Tuesday/Thursday or Wednesday/Friday
Hourly Rate: 15.00 per hour
Provide support and assistance to students
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Assist students in the successful completion of high school and college eligibility requirements.
2. Provide academic support for students in rigorous courses
3. Actively participate in collaborative groups and tutorials.
4. Participate and successfully complete 16 hours of AVID tutor training.
5. Participate in AVID field trips and motivational activities (when possible).
6. Facilitate the tutorial learning process and implement AVID methodologies.
7. Adhere to district/site policies and procedures.
8. Other duties as assigned
JOB SPECIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, LICENSE, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES):
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Excellent knowledge of a wide variety of subject matter relative to high school courses; particularly in the areas of Science, Math, and English
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) including the ability to convey concepts and learning to secondary students
- Ability to set appropriate boundaries with students according to AVID and District 833 expectations
- Ability to attend 16 hours of AVID tutor training for selected class(es)
- Ability to commit to a year of tutoring for selected classes
- Demonstrated leadership skills and positive role model
- Ability to promote excellence in education and study habits
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to perform routine computer functions, including the use of email and Microsoft Word
- Prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
- Communicates with students, parents, co-workers, supervisors, and the community in a positive and responsive way that is consistently welcoming and enhances effective work relationships.
- Demonstrates an appreciation of diversity in all interactions and job functions.
- Experience with AVID and/or AVID tutoring process or secondary school setting and tutor knowledge/experience.