Certified/Pre-Certified Educational Sign Language Interpreter
Denfeld High School
32.5 hours/week | Monday – Friday | 8:45 am – 3:45 pm
Starting Wage: $26.89/hr + Benefits
TEMPORARY POSITION THROUGH JUNE 10, 2022
Join the Duluth Public Schools team, where we work to inspire every student to achieve their potential and prepare students to lead productive, fulfilling lives.
Duluth Public Schools is seeking an Interpreter to facilitate communication between deaf and hard-of-hearing (DHH) students and their peers, our staff and other adults, using sign language. Interpreter will model signs for DDH students during instructional and non-instructional periods, such as playtime and school-related extracurricular activities. The educational interpreter provides interpreting and support services (educational tutoring) to students who are DHH being educated in their local scholl district. Other duties may be performed when they do not interfere with interpreting include tutoring, participation in meetings and being an active member of the school’s educational team.
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of education
- plus one year experience working with children.
- 60 semester credit or 90 quarter credits of college or a passing score on the ParaPro assessment
- Requires a minimum of a certificate of graduation from a post-secondary interpreter-training program
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD) Level III certification or Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID), CI & CT (Required)
- NIC is also accepted
- Understanding of the English language, especially grammar
- Hearing aids and microphones; cleaning, testing and troubleshooting
- Deaf culture
- Children and their development
- Expressive American Sign Language
- Receptive American Sign Language
- Ability to work with students
- Organizing the necessary materials for teaching sign language
- Ability to be flexible regarding work assignments
- Individuals pursuing certification may apply (pre-certified).
- Cued speech is not required.
In addition to rewarding career opportunities, Duluth Public Schools offers an excellent benefit package to employees who are hired into positions scheduled to work 24 hours/week or more. Benefits include, but are not limited to the following:
Medical/Prescription Drug Plan with Health Reimbursement Arrangement
- Single Coverage – District pays 100% of premium (FREE) + contributes $2,000 into HRA annually
- Family Coverage – District pays 75% of premium (25% employee contribution) + contributes $4,000 into HRA annually
- Single Coverage – District pays 100% of Basic premium (FREE)
- Family Coverage – District pays 25% of Premium
- District provides minimum of $50,000 of life insurance at no cost, employee may purchase supplemental life insurance
Long Term Disability
- District-provided at no cost to employee
Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employees may elect to contribute on a pre-tax basis to Health Flexible Spending Accounts and Dependent Care Accounts
- The District contributes 7.25% of your total salary in the Public Employees Retirement Association pension plan.
- Employees may also elect to participate in Tax-Shelter Annuity options.
- Each bargaining unit contract defines time off provisions such as holidays, sick/personal leave, vacation, etc.
This is a temporary position through June 10, 2022 per Article 7, Section 2 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
* Vacancies occurring from the first day of the second term through the last day of the school year will be considered temporary and will need to be reposted for the following year. Temporary appointees will be placed on the re-employment list at the completion of their temporary assignment. Temporary position based upon Article 7 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 218-336-8722 or email at email@example.com