See attached work calendar in bottom left corner of posting.
CLASSIFICATION: Off Schedule, C-4-5
BENEFITS: Benefits available for positions working 30 hours per week or more.
Contact the Insurance office @ 507-328-4226 for detailed insurance information. Please reference the exact job posting.
If you have questions regarding a job posting, contact the Office of Human Resources @ 507-328-4253 or email email@example.com
- Has overall responsibility for the administration of the facility and maintenance operations for Rochester Public Schools.
- Reports directly to the Executive Director of Operations.
- Directly supervises and provides work direction to the leads for Utility HVAC, Grounds, Trucking, Carpentry and Custodial Services and directly supervises the approximately 140 employees within those divisions.
- Directly manages the facility division and maintenance services general budget including transferring and balancing budget accounts as needed throughout the fiscal year.
- Creates and submits the annual facility and maintenance division budget.
- Oversees purchasing process ensuring that all department maintenance purchases are made in compliance with District, state and federal laws.
- Maintains financial accountability for the tracking and reporting of department activities including oversight for the coding, and payment of district-wide operations expenditures.
- Prepares bid specifications, analyzes bids, and determines what supplies and equipment will be used by the District.
- Develops and revises District policies and regulations related to facility and maintenance operations.
- Works with Human Resources and the Executive Director of Operations to manage and direct personnel functions of the department, including recruiting, training, and performance management.
- Defines standards of performance for the supervisory staff based on the essential duties and competencies; holds supervisors responsible for following those standards individually and the follow through with their staff.
- Conducts investigations related to employees and coordinates performance improvement plans/corrective action with the Executive Director of Operations and Human Resources as needed.
- Works with department supervisors to respond to and resolve employee relations issues.
- Serves as the resource to school site administrators in areas relating to building operational issues e.g. custodial, grounds, trucking and building utilities, and assists to help coordinate services in the area of health and safety compliance.
- Responds to all District facilities emergencies during business hours and after hours.
- Assures proper training of staff and the necessary documentation is complete and in compliance, as required.
- Facilitates effective labor-management relations in conjunction with the Executive Director of Operations and Human Resources; assists in negotiating effective solutions to issues and concerns that may arise between the interpretation of the respective union contract and the District policies and procedures.
- Meets regularly with union stewards to ensure compliance with the Maintenance union contract.
- Develops, in conjunction with the members of the department management team, short and long-range goals and priorities for the departments/areas.
- Directs and manages maintenance work orders for Carpentry, HVAC, Electrical, Grounds and custodial staff for all thirty-one (31) of the District buildings.
- Determines the need and service level for turf management through the District including equipment inventory used for turf management and snow removal throughout the District.
- Directs and manages snow removal across the entire district including the level of service needed and direction of employees for snow removal and de-icing throughout the season.
- Develop and maintain staffing models to determine departmental requirements and provides recommended staffing levels to the Executive Director of Operations.
- Makes decisions regarding chemicals used to perform daily cleaning/disinfecting for the District.
- Manages and oversees equipment used for custodial services for the District.
- Reviews and recommends the acceptance of quotes and bids for supplies, equipment, and building renovations.
- Monitors inventory of equipment, supplies used in repair, and maintenance activities.
- Works closely with other District staff, vendors, and contractors to resolve issues and maintain operations of the District.
- Assists in the development of the District annual Long-Term Facilities Maintenance plan.
- Oversees and facilitates the installation of building components and equipment for projects to ensure contractors are fulfilling their work up to the District’s expectations
- Attends construction project meetings to provide direction on facility and maintenance related items.
- Collaborates with the Construction Services division to assist in the development of blueprints and specification for district projects.
- Oversees the District’s energy management system including security, fire alarm systems, security alarm entry scheduling and corrects false alarm conditions.
- Oversees the building management systems and clock/bell time systems for all District buildings.
- Performs other tasks and assumes other responsibilities as directed by the Executive Director of Operations.
License/ Experience Requirement:
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Valid Minnesota Driver’s License.
- 2nd Class C boiler license required.
- CPO – Certified Pool Operator license, needed at time of hire.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in School District Facility Maintenance Operations.
- Minimum of 3 years supervisory and management experience in related operational programs and services.
- Ability to create/maintain accurate records and tracking systems.
- Conflict management and mediation skills.
- Effective delegation skills and ability to provide clear direction and support to others.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and changing priorities.
- Ability to work with and lead a diverse team of supervisors, staff and outside consultants.
- Knowledge of established policies, protocols and procedures, and the ability to ensure compliance with same.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication and interaction skills.
- Knowledge of federal, state and District regulations and guidelines covering public school buildings, maintenance, construction and health and safety, and the ability to apply those regulations and guidelines to ensure the District remains in compliance.
- Ability to clearly characterize District and site expectations.
- Ability to work successfully under pressure and handle multiple changing priorities and requests from a wide variety of sources, with attention to detail and deadlines.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills including outstanding conflict resolution, responsiveness and follow through.
- A thorough working knowledge of the maintenance contract and the ability to evaluate, communicate, and administer the maintenance contract in a manner protecting the District’s interests and resources.
- Ability to appropriately handle sensitive and confidential employee material.
- Must be available during emergencies after normal working hours.
- Ability to communicate ideas and directive in a clear and effective manner both verbally and in writing.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
Physical Job Requirements:
- This position may encounter, but not limited to the following activities: talking in person/on phone, hearing, sitting, reaching, crouching; kneeling; shoveling; working in narrow and/or confining spaces: underground, overhead, and at ground level; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs; and lying on stomach and/or back.
- Moves up to 50 pounds of project materials and/or tools to remote building locations.
- Stands on scaffolding, ladders, and platforms lifts, at heights up to 30 feet for extended periods of time.
Common and Shared Accountabilities for All Positions
Employees of the Rochester Public School District #535 are expected to support the goals, model and promote an environment that is respectful for all, and work collaboratively with other staff to focus on the needs of the learner. A quality, customer focus that conveys a welcome attitude, an adaptability to change, and a desire for continuous improvement is also expected of all employees. In addition, staff are to respect confidential matters, encourage a safe and secure environment throughout the schools, and be dependable and accountable employees.
Please visit www.rochesterschools.org to learn more about Rochester Public Schools.