Responsible for overseeing the school’s Health Services program. Serve as a liaison between school, staff, parents and community in health related matters.
WORK YEAR: 189 days
FLSA STATUS: Non Exempt
HEALTH CLERK DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITES INCLUDE:
- Assist students and staff with health needs while at school, including but not limited to: first aid, medication administration and support
- Maintain a health service notebook: health concerns, care plans, substitute nurse information, etc. Update as needed but at least yearly
- Provide substitute nurse and staff orientation to health service
- Maintain health service supplies, including various sizes of clothing for emergency student use
- Disinfect surfaces daily and as needed
- Laundry health service supplies, used blankets, washcloths, winter hats etc., as needed
- Maintain health files on all students
- Ensure medication permission forms are completed, signed and on file on a yearly basis
- Administration and charting of medications
- Provide medications needed on field trips and instruct teachers, with special attention to epi pens and inhalers
- Communicate with family and medical providers as needed
- Identify students with medical concerns
- Follow up on health concerns; talk to parents/guardians, teachers, other staff as needed
- Provide teachers in contact with said student’s medical information on a need to know basis
- Develop health plans for those students who need them
- Chart health concerns
Individual health plans/ Emergency health plans:
- Assess the need for a plan for students with health/special needs
- Develop a plan in conjunction with parents/guardians and medical providers as needed
- Provide copies of plan to parents/guardians, teachers as needed, health file and health service notebook
- Review plans with teachers
- Review plans at least annually
- Monitor immunization compliance on all students
- Document all immunizations in student system
- Contact parents/guardians with letters and phone calls to insure that all students are in compliance
- Report non-compliance to administration
- File immunization report to the state annually
- Monitor infectious diseases within the school population
- Maintain a log of all infectious diseases in the school population
- Inform teachers and provide information for parent notification of potential exposure.
- Notify state as required
- Provide health education to students and staff as needed. Topics may include but are not limited to the following:
- Hand washing/disease prevention;
- 5th grade Puberty education;
- Medication use – such as asthma inhalers;
- Food allergy awareness;
- Individual health needs: epi pens, seizure precautions.
Emergency health information forms:
- Maintain student emergency forms
- Maintain staff emergency forms
- Maintain emergency/evacuation supplies
- Serve as a member of the safety committee
- Orient staff to safety procedures
- Responsible to oversee the health budget
- Assist office staff when feasible
- Has the ability to develop and maintain positive and harmonious relationships with coworkers and other members of the KCS community.
- Other duties as assigned
Member of the following committee/s:
- Safety Committee
- Crisis Management Team
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of principles and process for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of clerical procedures such as word processing, mailings, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Knowledge of computers and computer programs including Microsoft Office, TIES database program or related applications.
- Demonstrate a customer friendly attitude toward others. Follow through to meet the customer’s needs.
- Prioritize and schedule work tasks. Complete tasks within established deadlines.
- Produce quality, accurate work. Work productively
- Maintain an effective organizational system.
- Demonstrate initiative and flexibility to adjust to unexpected changes in work demands.
- Admit mistakes and learn from them.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate a consistent work attitude. Has an excellent work commitment.
- Identify the appropriate actions steps to reach goals and carry them out.
- Maintain a positive attitude in daily routine and in unexpected, stressful, or emergency situations.
- Demonstrate initiative to make things happen.
- Desire to expand job knowledge and improve performance.
- The ability to listen and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- The ability to communicate clearly, orally, or in writing.
- The ability to use a computer, copier/printer, and fax machine.
- The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
- The ability to assume initiative and work independently.
- The ability to multi task.
- The ability to work effectively with people from different backgrounds and cultures.
- The ability to audit data, pay close attention to details, and recognize errors in accounts payable requests received.
- Associate’s degree, or comparable experience
- CPR/First Aid
- Other required trainings
- Computer Proficiency
- General Clerical Skills
COMPETENCIES AND/OR VALUES COMMON TO ALL POSITIONS
- A clear and demonstrated commitment to Kaleidoscope Charter School’s (“KCS”) mission, which cultivates inquisitive leaders who possess integrity and a passion for learning.
- Performing assigned responsibilities in a manner consistent with KCS’s established Core Values.
- Advancing the KCS’s mission and values through careful attention to the key issues of Learning, Environment, and Resources.