Hours/Days: This position is 6.75 hours per day, Monday through Friday. The duty day is 7:15am to 2:30pm (includes a duty free ½ hr lunch). This position follows the school district student contact calendar (typically 171 workdays in a school year).
Salary/Wages: $14.72 – $15.02 per hour based on the current B22 salary schedule. (Educational Assistant Work Agreement)
Overview of the Position:
School is challenging for all students. Many students in our schools face additional challenges due to some type of disability, which may be physical, cognitive, emotional or behavioral. Educational Assistants implement instructional strategies under the direction and supervision of licensed teachers. The primary role of the Educational Assistant is to provide support for a student or group of students in a variety of classroom settings throughout their school day. This particular position is for those interested in working with students in our Restore Program. This program consists of approximately 4-8 secondary aged students. The program focuses on academics, social/emotional learning, managing behavior, restorative measures, and reintegration back into a traditional school setting. All job specific training and mentoring will be provided by the district at no cost to the employee.
District Mission Statement:
“Our mission is to equip all students with the knowledge and skills to empower them to achieve their dreams and full potential while becoming responsible citizens in a dynamic world.”
- Have a desire to work in a school setting with students with learning challenges.
- Be willing/able to learn about a variety of disabilities and the educational strategies and techniques to assist students to be successful in the classroom. Ability to work with students who may exhibit academic, social and behavioral challenges.
- High School diploma (or equivalent) is required. Additional coursework in child development and/or experience in working with children/young adults is preferred.
Summary of Duties:
- Under the direction of the special education teacher and the classroom teacher, provide assistance to students with disabilities to help them be successful in all aspects of their school day.
- Assist in the implementation of a variety of academic, social or behavioral strategies and supports for individual students (including sensory and behavior plans as well as the use of physical interventions/holds).
- Collect and record data pertaining to the successes and challenges of assigned students.
- Participate in student planning meetings and department meetings to facilitate student success.
- Depending on specific duty assignment, this position may also require:
- proper lifting/transferring of students
- assisting students with personal cares and skills of daily living
Job Description: Educational Assistant-Special Services
Application Procedure: To apply for this or any of our positions within the school district, visit our website to apply online. Be sure to indicate the specific JobID listed at the top of this page.
For more information about this Educational Assistant position, you can also contact AnnaRae Klopfer (Special Education Supervisor) at 763-753-7014.