Approximately 35 hours per week
June 1– August 21, variable schedule
Minimum hourly rate is $15.50.
Primary Objective of Position:
Responsible for performing lifeguard services during summer beach program. Assist Lifeguard Services Coordinator and Beach Supervisors in monitoring and overseeing all beach activities to ensure safety and to meet the needs of the community.
Job Responsibilities (lifeguard):
1. Perform general lifeguard duties; administer first aid and perform rescue operations as needed.
2. Greet visitors and provide information on beach and pool facilities.
3. Enforce beach policies, rules, and regulations.
4. Recognize and respond quickly and effectively to all emergency situations and administer first aid as needed.
5. Participate in regular in-service training sessions.
Additional Lead Guard Responsibilities:
1. Open beach and set up equipment at beginning of service day, and/or clear swimming area, stow equipment, and secure beach at end of service day.
2. Monitor beach, swimming area, facilities, and equipment for safety and sanitary conditions. Report any needed repairs, maintenance or cleaning, as well as any safety hazards, to the Lifeguard Services Coordinator or Beach Supervisor.
3. With the direction of the Lifeguard Services Coordinator and Beach Supervisor, provide direction and supervision to lifeguards and swim instructors during scheduled shift, when Beach Supervisor is not present.
4. Assist Lifeguard Services Coordinator and Beach Supervisors with observations and end of season evaluations.
5. Oversee proper operations regarding safety breaks, guard rotation, and weather closings; communicate effectively with lifeguard and swim instructor staff.
6. Oversee emergency situations and rescue operations, and carry out necessary communication and follow up reports.
7. Enforce all beach policies and rules in a consistent, professional manner.
8. Complete daily attendance reports.
9. Maintain a high level of professionalism.
1. Must be 17 years old and have 1 year of experience as a Lifeguard or other leadership experience. (preferably as a beach lifeguard).
2. Current certification in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid, and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
3. Demonstrated knowledge and skills in water safety surveillance techniques.
4. Demonstrated leadership, public relations, and communication skills.
5. Ability to work under minimal supervision..
6. Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
7. Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.