Anticipated Start Date: Fall 2021
Salary schedule based on Teacher contract, previous teaching experience and education.
Benefit information can be found on the District Website under Human Resources and Benefits. Please look under Forms & Publications for specific Insurance Premiums.
Current Minnesota Public School Nurse license
The primary objective of this position is to maintain and/or improve the physical, emotional, and environmental health of students. The Licensed School Nurse works cooperatively with other Health Services staff and building professionals. Together health accommodations are implemented so learning potentials can be attained.
Primary Job Functions:
Nursing Assessment and Care:
- Develop Individual Health Plans and/or Emergency Care Plans for students with acute or chronic health conditions affecting their school day.
- Provide direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness, and emergency care to students and staff in response to the nursing assessment and in accordance with professional standards, school policy and procedures, and state and local mandates.
- Administer medication as a professional nurse according to District 833 practice.
- Maintain accurate medical records to ensure compliance with State mandates, including immunizations, physical examinations, medical conditions, and related services documentation.
- Conduct vision, hearing, and early childhood screenings, and other screenings as assigned.
- Make appropriate assessments and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
- Attend building Student Support Team meetings as a consultant, evaluator, implementer, and professional member of the team.
- Delegate nursing functions as necessary, with appropriate assessment, teaching, monitoring, and supervision according to the Minnesota Nurse Practice Act.
- Maintain communication with administrators, other district school nurses, teachers, and school personnel. Converse with parents/guardians and community agencies to enhance cooperative action which will meet the health and safety needs of students.
- Provide health services, information, and counseling in an effective and positive manner to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
- Ensure accident/incident reports for staff and students are filed appropriately.
- Monitor and input student data for statistical purposes.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all school and health related issues.
- Maintain the health office facility and supplies providing supervision to the Health Assistant and Health Care Specialists.
- Utilize existing technology effectively in the documentation and performance of duties.
- Ensure a daily log is maintained, including the documentation of student visits and actions taken.
- Perform other health duties as required.
- Participate in individual or classroom teaching as it relates to health information.
- Facilitate group therapy or health education for students.
- Perform individual student health counseling and act as a member of the School Crisis Team.
- Maintain contact with professional nursing organization and utilize continuing education opportunities to enhance professional knowledge.
- Participate as an active member of the school community, representing health and wellness.
- Participate in appropriate staff development.
- Provide ongoing education, support, and supervision to staff with delegated functions.
- Regularly evaluate the Health Office environment according to OSHA standards.
Other duties as assigned
Job Specifications (Education, License, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
1. Degree in Nursing.
2. Licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN), Public Health Nurse (PHN), and Licensed School Nurse (LSN) in accordance with the Minnesota Board of Nursing.
3. Licensed as an LSN (Licensed School Nurse) by the Minnesota Department of Education.
4. Prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
5. Ability to perform routine computer functions, including the use of email and Microsoft Word
6. Communicate with students, parents, co-workers, supervisors, and the community in a positive and responsive way that is consistently welcoming and enhances effective work relationships.
7. Demonstrate an appreciation of diversity in all interactions and job functions.
1. Previous experience as an LSN or PHN.
2. Member of State and National School Nurse Associations.
3. Experience working in an education setting.
Apply online including a letter of interest and current resume
Applications submitted by 4:00 pm on May 14th, 2021 will be fully considered.
Posting will be removed from the website when the position has been filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer