- Facilitate student instruction
- Responsible for working with Special Ed. student on calming techniques, taking breaks
- Serve as a parent and child advocate
- Work with Special Education teacher to ensure that students needs are met on daily basis
- Carry out all responsibilities associated with special education EA assignment
- Communicate closely with classroom teacher
- Help maintain a safe classroom environment
- Collaborate with grade-level team members, program specialists, director, and other staff
- Be open-minded to learning about immersion and the International Baccalaureate Organization Primary Years Programme
- Comply with all IEP accommodations
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Native or near native proficiency in the Spanish language is prefered. A minimum of one year of elementary experience, prior immersion experience, and familiarity with the International Baccalaureate Organization Primary Years Programme are preferred, but not required.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
Must be able to appropriately and patiently work well with elementary-age children in and outside of the classroom.
This position requires the incumbent to work mainly in a classroom setting as well as supervise recess. However, incumbent may be required to attend field trips outside of the school. Incumbent may also be required to supervise and work with the children in the lunchroom or other areas.
This position also requires other duties and responsibilities as needed that may not be included in this job description.
This position follows the school calendar, hours 8:45- 3:45 pm
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to relate positively to elementary-age children.
- Enthusiasm and a strong commitment to the full immersion teaching philosophy and the International Baccalaureate
- Good organizational skills and flexibility in relating to students, parents, peers, and supervisors.
- Must be able to work well in a team environment through cooperation and participation.
- Ability to appropriately work with and support children with different ability levels and learning styles.
- Ability to understand that students are individuals, and the skill to work effectively with individual strengths and needs of students.
Ability to make connections with parents, other classes, community, and beyond.