Position: Special Education Paraprofessional – Specialized Program – ASD
Location: Somerset Elementary School
Hours: M-F – 5.50 hours per day Student Contact Days
Line of Authority: Responsible to the supervising teacher
Primary Function: To assist student with the instructional process in special education and/or regular education classrooms.
Wage: $20.67 – $22.18/hr per the 2019-2021 Paraprofessional Contract
- Two or more years post-secondary training in education/in a related field or passing The Parapro Assessment.
- Needs to be PCA certified
- Ability to work as a team member with staff and parents.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs. (and/or up to adult-size body weight with two- to three-person lift).
- Ability to support student’s full body weight up to adult size.
- Ability to tolerate frequent bending and lifting.
- Ability to work with behaviorally challenging students including those who may be physically and verbally aggressive, effective communication skills.
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities, austim, emotional challenges, behavior challenges & trauma.
- Spainish speaking preferred.
- Behavior management preferred
- Working with student or small groups of students to reinforce learning of skills introduced by teachers.
- Assisting the teacher/s in devising strategies for reinforcing skills based on sympathetic.
- Understanding of students’ needs, interests and abilities.
- Guiding independent study, enrichment work and remedial work set up and assigned by the teachers.
- Assisting with large group activities such as drill work, reading aloud, storytelling and field trips.
- Assisting and supervising student’s wash-up and toilet routines including lifting and transferring student.
- Assisting and supervising student to/from bus and in the building as needed.
- Carrying out behavior management techniques necessary to maintain classroom order as instructed by the teacher/s.
- Completion of clerical tasks related to students to whom assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please apply online at www.isd197.org