Effective immediately, the Human Resources Department will accept online applications for the position of Special Education Teacher (two positions) at Kaposia Education Center for the 2022-23 school year. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Salary placement is based on education and experience as indicated in Teachers’ Collectively Bargained Agreement.
Application Process: To be considered for the position, submit online application at www.sspps.org. This posting will remain open until filled.
Provide specialized instruction, modifications and accommodations to students with disabilities. Follow all due process requirements under the Individual with Disabilities Education Act and Every School Succeeds Act. Work collaboratively with building staff. Provide direction to Paraprofessionals on day-to-day activities for student achievement. Participate in IEP meetings and facilitate communication between staff and families if necessary.
- Provide assistance and leadership in completing Functional Behavior Assessments as determined by the IEP team.
- Consult with other educators, staff and parents in developing specialized educational programs for students.
- Consult with other educators, staff and parents in the management and data collection around results of specialized programs.
- Assist in making changes and adjustments to instructional techniques and accommodations and modifications for students.
- Participate with families at school conferences and IEP meetings with parents when needed.
- Communicate with appropriate teachers and other district staff personnel as necessary on educational matters.
- Promote family attendance and involvement in school conferences and events.
- Provide education to families as requested by the principal, teacher, or district staff.
- Promote full consideration of individual needs of learners with disabilities in the academic environment.
- Deliver the district’s written, taught and assessed curriculum.
- Adhere to all district policies and procedures.
- Support the district’s mission, vision and values.
- Maintain knowledge and skills within IB program changes and updates.
- Cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable working relationships with students, staff, families and community members.
- Adhere to staff and program guidelines and district procedures and policies.
- Demonstrate prompt, regular and reliable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Current Minnesota Teacher licensure in Special Education.
- Excellent communication skills with families, students and staff.
- Knowledge and experience with International Baccalaureate Program.
- Excellent speaking and writing skills.
- Sensitivity and compassion for the needs and issues for families and students with disabilities.
- Desire to provide assistance and advocacy to families and children with disabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, families, and school personnel.
- Knowledge of and understanding for the legal and ethical requirement to keep information about students and families confidential.
- Willing to learn the specifics of South St. Paul educational philosophy and goals for students, including IB structures and techniques.
- Excellent teaching skills.
- Excellent technology skills.
- Commitment to working effectively with culturally, economically and socially diverse students and families.
- Ability to understand and follow data privacy rules and regulations related to students
The physical demands and working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the primary functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions.
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee is frequently required to kneel, reach, stand, walk and climb stairs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.