Albany Area Schools
Albany High School
Special Education Teacher
January 2022 – Remainder of the 2021-22 School Year
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to maximize the learning experience of students with special needs, in academics, interpersonal skills and activities of daily living by implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities, outcomes; addressing students’ specific needs; providing a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
- Participates and assists in developing Individual Educational Plans (“IEP”) for students.
- Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students’ IEP’s and behavior management plans.
- Provides appropriate services for students who qualify for special education services.
- Collaborates with special and general education staff members
- Communicates effectively with staff, students, and parents
- Coordinates with outside agencies, organizations and institutions, including state and federal authorities as needed.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student’s abilities and needs, including students with special needs.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping.
- Encourages parental involvement in students’ education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Standard classroom technology along with district approved software programs and applications.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Knowledge of Special Education principles, theories, testing, methods, etc. as well as proven methods of maximizing the educational experience of students with special needs.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Knowledge of and adherence to School Board policies and procedures.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Works in standard school building environment.
State Certification as a Special Education Teacher
Full-time preferred by schedule can be flexible
Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
Successful prior special education teaching experience for the appropriate grade levels preferred.
Direct questions about job description to Eric Bubna at firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct questions about AppliTrack on-line application process to Amy Rausch at email@example.com