Job Summary: The assistant coach/head lower level coach is responsible for assisting the head coach in the planning, directing and leading an education based athletic program that seeks to develop the whole child’s well being.
1. Must meet the coaching requirements of the Minnesota State High School League and the Minnesota State Department of Education.
2. Attend a “Why We Play” seminar/coaches training.
3. Experience coaching in an education based athletic program required.
4. Certified teacher preferred.
5. Playing and/or coaching experience preferred.
Reports To: Head Coach, High School Activities Director
Job Goals: To assist in the responsibility of the program and work with the student-athletes in the sport assigned and to provide life lessons that will positively impact the physical, social and emotional well being of all who are involved.
Traits of an Effective Assistant/Head Lower Level Coach:
Demonstrates a high degree of empathy, positivity, trust, responsibility, discipline and flexibility. A successful head coach is a developer, teacher, achiever, manager, leader and problem solver.
- Accept and assist in the implementation of the co-curricular philosophy of High School athletics.
- Follows the rules and regulations of the school, conference and the MSHSL.
- Attend the rules interpretation meeting held by the MSHSL.
- Maintain a membership in the appropriate coaches association and participate to advocate for our programs and students.
- Attend clinics, seminars and in-service programs in order to improve coaching skills and to stay current with new trends in coaching, training, conditioning and safety procedures.
- Give input about, and then carry out, the interscholastic schedule as drawn up by the Head Coach.
- Assist in the organization, scheduling and supervision of practice sessions.
- Assist the Head Coach in the use of equipment in your sport.
- Assist the Head Coach with the development of a written annual inventory and make recommendations for purchases to the Activities Director.
- Assist the Head Coach with the distribution and collection of equipment and supplies.
- Assist the Head Coach to regularly inspect equipment and facilities to ensure the safety of each student-athlete.
- Participate in pre and postseason meetings with the Head Coach. The postseason meeting will serve as an evaluation conference.
- Accept delegated responsibilities from the Head Coach.
- Work to develop continuity between the community and school programs.
- Assist Head Coach to provide leadership in his or her program for all levels of the sport (K-12).
- Only allows athletes certified by the Activities Office to participate.
- Maintains appropriate supervision of his/her program at all times (locker rooms, practices, events, bus rides, etc.). Supervises any and all space used by athletes while they are present.
- Assures that the squad at all times will reflect proper attitude and conduct at home or away.
- Encourages young men and women to participate in sports and other co-curricular activities other than his/her own but does not attempt to influence the specific sport or activity.
- Assist the Head Coach to communicate effectively with participants and their families.
- Assist the Head Coach in all postseason activities.
- Represents the school in a professional manner in demeanor, language, and conduct (based on standards established by the Activities Director).
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of the activity.
- All other duties as assigned by the Head Coach and Activities Director.
Terms of Employment: Compensation and duration of the assignment as negotiated.
Evaluation: Performance of the job will be evaluated annually.
Evaluators: Head Coach and Activities Director.
Licensure Required: Minnesota Department of Education valid coaching certification or valid certificate from the National Federation Coaches Education Program.
Application Procedure: Apply online at: www.faribault.k12.mn.us
Application Deadline: Open until filled