Posting dates: 9/11/20 thru 9/17/20 or until filled
Hours: Monday thru Friday 7.0 hrs/day with 30 minute unpaid break
Start date: End of posting
End date: June 10, 2021 (approximately)
Under direction of the Licensed School Nurse (LSN), 1 to 1 RN/LPN who’s responsibility is to monitor the health and safety and assist with activities of daily living for student with a disability. Trach, vent, and suction experience recommended but not required, extensive training witll be provided. Must be able to lift 40 lbs. Provide first aid for ill or injured students; distribute prescribed medication to students; communicate health related issues to parents and perform clerical functions related to record keeping and other general office functions.
Essential functions of the job include the following:
– Per District guidelines, provide first aid for ill or injured students; contact parents or emergency contact to advise of student’s illness or injury; administer first aid and medications under general direction of LSN and follow up with students according to district policies.
– Perform clerical functions related to record keeping and other general office functions. Input data and run reports from computer database; perform other clerical functions such as answering phones, opening mail, etc.; and assure adequate health and first aid supplies are stocked and maintained in good order.
– Maintain a health record for each student including: set up and filing health records; provide basic information and update file as necessary; record incident/injury reports, health office visits and parent phone contacts.
– Maintain immunization records by completing data for computer entry, send letters to parents or previous school regarding records as directed by LSN, inform LSN of missing records, prepare annual report for LSN review.
– Carry out components of health care/emergency plans for students with disabilities and chronic health problems as delegated by LSN.
– Assist in prevention and management of infectious illness by noting symptoms and reporting to LSN, sending letters to parents as directed by LSN, keeping all memos and letters updated and copied.
– Alert LSN to possible physical/sexual abuse or neglect of students per policy
– Intervene in crisis situations by observing injury and accident scene; determine needs, administer CPR or appropriate first aid, and call 911 according to District policy and procedure.
– Assist in implementation of vision/hearing screening as directed which may include screening, duplicating and distributing screening forms, recruiting and scheduling volunteer screeners, preparing and dismantling screening site and refreshments.
– Record any and all contacts from home school educators.
– Provide health information to students as directed.
– Other duties as necessary or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• CPR and first aid training.
• Valid Minnesota Licensed Practicing Nurse (LPN) certificate.
• Effective human relations skills when dealing with staff, students, and community.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
• Ability to communicate effectively and concisely both orally and in writing.
• Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos.
• Ability to write correspondence.
• Ability to perform basic mathematical computations.
• Ability to operate computer and familiarity with multiple software packages.
• Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
• Regular attendance.
Regularly required to sit, stand, and move throughout health office and building; reach with hands and arms, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
$23.45 per hour