The Brooklyn Center Community School (BCCS) District is seeking applicants to join our district as a English as a Second Language Educational Assistant (EL EA). The EL EA serves as an assistant and resource to teachers in the supervision, teaching, observation, and training of students, helping students to learn the English language. EL EAs assist and engage in the preparation and assembling of teaching materials and do other related work as required. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Teacher, Assistant Principal, and Principal.
BCCS is looking for applicants driven to uphold our Mission: To become a justice-center school community who fuels the unique genius of each student.
Brooklyn Center Community Schools endeavors to be a collective who demonstrates passion, pride, and perseverance.
We will fiercely lead the way in justice-centered education, striving against the permanence of racism and oppressive systems while embracing a future where our diversity fuels learning.
With every breath in our bodies, every ounce of influence we possess, and through every challenge, we stand front and center with the young people we love and serve.
BCCS Core Values: Written on a foundation of student voice, our district core values communicate the culture and character of Brooklyn Center Community Schools.
- We demonstrate passion, pride, and perseverance
- We acknowledge and disrupt oppressive systems
- Our diversity fuels learning
- We fiercely lead in justice-centered educated
- We stand front and center
Qualifications: Associates Degree or 60 credits under graduate level; Experience working as an educational or teacher’s assistant, paraprofessional, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Or a passing ParaPro exam (This may be completed 30 days after hire). ParaPro exam information can be found on the district website.
Pay and Benefits: Competitive pay, starting at $18.24, and benefits, based on the contract
Duty Days: 178
Hours: 6.5 hours per day paid, plus 1 hour per week outside of the school day for teaming and professional development.
Essential Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists students with instructional and non-instructional activities such as classroom assignments and participation, remaining engaged, toileting, feeding, dressing, mobility, etc.
- Establishes positive relationships with students and acts as a role model for appropriate social skills and behaviors in all situations.
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments, and/or materials under the direction of the supervising teacher for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives.
- Helps staff support student behavior by applying proactive strategies.
- Assumes safety responsibilities for students in all environments.
- Reviews student Individualized Educational Plans (IEPs).
- Collects data in accordance with the student’s IEP goals and objectives as directed by licensed staff.
- Completes billing requirements, as directed by supervising staff.
- Oversees and supervises students throughout the day, including field trips, program events, boarding, and un-boarding buses, lunch periods, recess, and other settings where teacher(s) may not be present; chaperones students to and from class. Assists students with learning organizational and computer literacy skills. Maintains service logs and records on students.
- Assists with preparing lesson materials, exhibits, equipment, and demonstrations.
- Distributes teaching materials such as tech devices, textbooks, workbooks, papers, and pencils to students; distributes and collects tests and homework assignments.
- Instructs and monitors students in the use and care of equipment and materials in order to prevent injuries and damage.
- Observes students’ performance and records relevant data to assess progress.
Why Choose BCCS?
- Health Insurance with option of Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA/VEBA)
- Dental Insurance
- Group Life and AD&D Insurance
- Supplemental Life and Dependent Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Full-service community school
- Vital Worklife: Supportive counseling and coaching
- Staff Wellness Opportunities: Annual benefits fair, wellness challenges and campaigns, free yoga and personal trainer sessions
- NeoPath Health Clinic: Free, onsite medical care to help you improve your overall health and wellness. The clinic offers all of the primary care services you would expect from a family physician/general practitioner.
We’re not a community on the fringe, we’re a community moving toward a center. Moving in unison with a shift in cultural expectations. Our voice and achievement will not be disqualified, we’re moving toward a change in history and hearts.
Standing FRONT AND CENTER so we are seen and heard.
Please select this link to learn more about Brooklyn Center Community Schools: https://www.bccs286.org/
Please select this link to apply online: https://www.applitrack.com/brooklyncenterschools/onlineapp/
BROOKLYN CENTER COMMUNITY SCHOOLS IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Brooklyn Center Community Schools is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable Equal Opportunity laws, directives and regulations of Federal, State and Local governing bodies or agencies. Brooklyn Center Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, gender identity and expression, disability, age, or status.