SPARKS is an after school, neighborhood based program for elementary and middle school age students provided by Orono School District and coordinated by the Community Education department. The goal is to provide another intervention that provides extra time and support to help our district close the achievement and opportunity gap for kids who have academic and financial need. A licensed teacher and site/volunteer coordinator along with community mentors provide academic support, homework help and encouragement to students.
- Coordination of site logistics with host organization and management of on-going relationship with the host site.
- Logistical planning including determining activities schedule, coordinating and leading of general activities, snack, and periodic family events
- On site supervision of volunteers and children during program hours (2:45-5:15 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays)
- Communicate with students and their families to encourage participation
- Assist with recruitment of volunteers and manage scheduling and communication with volunteers assigned to the site. Help engage community partners to host periodic family events and recruit and support volunteers.
- Assist licensed teacher with implementation of academic portions of the program.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in collaboration with others.
- Understanding of the role of volunteers and the ability to collaborate with volunteers and the host site.
- Commitment to supporting the whole person in their pursuit of high levels of mastery of skill within the program.
Availability: Monday and Wednesdays 2:45-5:15 plus prep time
Working Conditions: Program held at a community location in Maple Plain and/or Long Lake.
District Website: www.orono.k12.mn.us
Supervisor: Genna Torney, Yourth Development Coordinator
952-449-8338 x 6350 firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Scott E. Alger, Director of Human Resources